Town Clock

"Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron--cold iron--is master of them all."

( From 'Cold Iron' by Rudyard Kipling )

Situated at the " Head " of the Valley, Tredegar was the magnet which attracted many thousands of people to the area with the advent of ironmaking in the late 18th century.

From the early to mid 1800s the town became one of the major producers with its furnaces, together with neighbouring Blaenavon and Dowlais, working night and day to meet the needs of the new Industrial Revolution.

Many Pits and Collieries were sunk along the whole length of the Valley to satisfy the increased demand for fuel including Ty Trist at Tredegar which was first sunk in 1834 and remained in production until its eventual closure in 1959.

Ty Trist colliery

In its heyday, the Colliery employed over 1200 workers.

Sadly, the town has declined in the last 30 years or so, mainly due to mine closures and the run down at the nearby Ebbw Vale Steelworks where so many local people were employed.

One positive outcome, however, has been to see the area, once badly scarred by the waste and pollution of heavy industry, restored to its former natural environment.

Photo of Tredegar, Castle Street c1968, ref. t265064
Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.
 
Tredegar History
 Aneurin Bevan    Sirhowy/Tredegar Feud     Tredegar in 1849    Sirhowy Tramroad 
   The Iron Puddler    Tredegar Riots    The Workhouse 
  Sirhowy Ironworks     Tredegar Ironworks     Tredegar Co-operative 

Tredegar Folklore
 The Tredegar Plank    Ty Trist - House of Sorrow    Sirhowy - Wild Water? 

Tredegar Paranormal
 Tredegar Arms Ghosts  

Tredegar Websites
 Pete Topping @Tredegar.co.uk 
 Tredegar Orpheus      Tredegar RFC       Royal British Legion 

Tredegar Heritage Films
 Made in Tredegar 


Tredegar Images
CLICK

TREDEGAR CROSSWORD


BACK TO PLACES

Contact Web Manager Return to Home Page